In the 1850s, David P. Wild was the proprietor of the Bay House. He advertised that the bar was well supplied with wines, brandies, ales and cigars of the very best brands. He also outfitted fishermen with sail and row boats, tackle and bait. The Bay House was located on Hamilton Avenue at the foot of Court Street, near the Penny Bridge.
William Beard's Erie Basin, begun around the time of this ad and completed in 1864, changed the look of the area. Today, the Hamilton Avenue drawbridge and the elevated Gowanus Expressway have replaced the Penny Bridge.
Hamilton avenue, foot of Court street
NEAR THE PENNY BRIDGE
The Bar is constantly supplied with Wines, Brandies, Ales and Segars of the very best brands.
Sail and Row Boats to let, Fishing Tackle and Bait supplied.