Map: Clinton Wharf, ca. 1884

Clinton Wharf is on the southwest side of Atlantic Basin. It was probably named in honor of DeWitt Clinton, governor of New York and father of the Erie Canal.

The three piers shown [indicated in yellow] were all covered.

Funk-Edye & Co., operators of Pier 35, were also freight agents for the Scandinavian-American Line.

The iron bridges in the corner of Pier 38 were used for loading freight cars on and off barges.

The elevators [also in yellow] adjacent to the McCormic Stores, at the bottom left of the map, were used to transfer bulk grain up from ships into the store buildings.



Related Tour



  • "Brooklyn Plate No. 4 [Map bounded by William St., Clinton Wharf, Commerce St., Imlay St.]" Sanborn Map Company, 1884-
    Lionel Pincus and Princess Firyal Map Division, The New York Public Library. The New York Public Library Digital Collections. 1884-.

Share this Item