At the end of the 1800s, brandy was tracked and taxed by the US federal government. Before being taxed, tariffed goods such as brandy were stored in bonded warehouses overseen by custom officials. Duties would be charged when the goods were sold domestically.
On June 30, 1897, 71,589 gallons of brandy were being stored at the New York and Brooklyn Wharf and Warehouse Co., on Imlay and Commerce Streets in the Atlantic Basin. Another 10,090 gallons of distilled spirits were being stored there as well.